Congratulations on your decision to start Invisalign treatment. It is critical to wear your aligners as instructed to ensure the desired outcome. Please follow these instructions for wear and care of your aligners.
- Before placing your aligners, always make sure you brush and floss your teeth.
- Aligners must be worn 20–22 hours a day to achieve a successful result; remove them only to eat and to brush.
- Brush your aligners 2 times a day to help keep them clean.
- We recommend that you start every new set of aligners before bed. Most of the initial movement occurs in the first 12 hours, and it is best to wear them without interruption during this time.
- Before starting a new set of aligners, we recommend you take Advil® or Tylenol®. Each new set of aligners is incrementally moving your teeth and may cause some initial discomfort.
- It is very important to massage the aligner over the attachments every time you insert the aligner.
- Do not drink anything other than water with aligners in.
- Aligners should be worn for a minimum of 1 week before changing to the next set, unless otherwise instructed by the doctor.
- Your aligners cannot handle much heat! Be careful not to leave your aligners in the sun or in a car on a hot day, and never place your aligners in hot or boiling water to clean or sterilize them.
- Keep aligners away from dogs; they love chewing on aligners.
- Note that not every aligner is cut exactly the same. There may be a rough patch on the edge of an aligner. You may use a small file to smooth the area that is rough.
Please let us know if you have other challenges with your aligners. You are on your way to a beautiful smile!